I love to work with local flute sections during the school day and after school, whether it’s one session or weekly sessions. I am happy to help prepare music for LGPE and other performances, but I also stress simply learning how to play the flute correctly.
“Much thanks! Really. Like really, really, really. You get us. Sectional time with you is always the perfect balance of fun and work. We get better and we aren’t bored to tears. Playing the flute is something I believe I will be doing the rest of my life, and you inspire me to that every time I see you. Thanks a million times.”
-Shay, former Allatoona High School student
Topics may include:
- How to play in tune without being attached to a tuner
- Correct fingerings (this is often a problem band directors aren’t even aware of)
- Balance and blend within the flute section and with the entire band
- How to play high notes correctly (so many young flutists must learn the third octave “on the fly” as the notes appear in music, and they are often learned with incorrect fingerings, the WRONG aperture and air speed, and the wrong mouth shape
- Correct articulations (more than just how to tongue fast, including accents, staccato, legato, soft entrances, tapers, etc.)
- How to practice (practice games for tricky technical passages, how to fit everything in to the amount of time available for practicing, how to “get it right” in less time)
- Application of all of the above using standard ORCHESTRAL rep (so many young flutists never get to experience this repertoire, but much of it can easily be applied to what you’re working on in band every day)
I’m available for school day sessions, after school sessions, and indoor marching band sectionals. Please contact me for more information – I’d love to talk about how I can help you!
Need help with sixth grade recruitment and/or instrument testing?
I’d love to be there! I am also passionate about getting beginners started the RIGHT way. You won’t regret letting me start with your sixth graders from the very first time the headjoint comes out of its case!
I currently work with the flute sections at Allatoona High School, McEachern High School, Pope High School, Sammy McClure Middle School, and Tapp Middle School.
“Thank you for taking time out of your busy schedule to help us flutes become better. We sound so much better than we did 2 months ago, all because of you. You are a chill person, honestly. I can’t wait to see you tomorrow and learn more from you!”
-Danielle, Allatoona High School student
“Whenever you come to coach us the flutes you make us sound 100% better. We always learn so much new stuff while making it fun. I heard that you are coming tomorrow and I can’t wait.”
-Emily, Allatoona High School student